Friday, June 26, 2009

Letting Go

Letting go

Letting go is always so much more difficult than what you might expect.
I suppose that is why so many people are out there hanging on to their ‘stuff’. It almost feels more comfortable to hang on and carry on with life as we know it rather than step our of our comfort zone and deal with our fear, anger, emotions or anything that we are hanging on to.

Last Sunday, the 21st of June, was our Winter Solstice – the longest night and shortest day on our calendar. It is a time to let go and release, a time to start creating new experiences in our lives and move toward light and warmth… and was a big breakthrough day for me.

I have been going through a crisis situation for 1 year and 1 week… or so I thought. Yesterday I realised that I had still been hanging on to emotions of anger, frustration, fear and blame even though the crisis situation has not been a crisis for a while now.
It somehow is so much easier to blame others and point fingers in other directions but all this did was stunt my own growth and my happiness.
I realised that even though I have been dealing with my emotions through my own means I still had not totally let go.

What are you hanging onto in your life at the moment? It might be an unhealthy relationship, extra weight, feelings of anger or resentment, or even something as simple as too many items of clothing in your wardrobe.

How can we make space for new, happier experiences if we are not willing to let go?

When I was sitting in the hairdresser the other day a customer started screaming and shouting at the hairdresser for cutting her daughters hair skew. She was almost frothing at the mouth and was directing all of her years of pent up anger at the poor hairdresser.
Surely this is not the best way to get rid of your emotional baggage. If you have emotional stuff that you need to let go of then rather do it in a constructive and positive way that does not hurt others.

Think of how you would release and let go?
It might be through seeing a therapist and talking it through, it might be taking up boxing lessons, it might be doing Yoga, breathing and meditation techniques. Think of what would work for you.

My ‘therapy’ was doing my daily practice of Yoga – shifting to a more gentle practice when I did not have the energy to even walk up the stairs – and teaching Yoga every day. Somehow being in that beautiful, nurturing space that I was creating for my students brought me to a more centred place and helped me deal with my emotional turmoil that I was going through.

Letting go is scary, moving forward into the future is scary, but once you have done it the freedom, lightness and happiness that you feel is liberating!

So go on....Let Go!


"I can release the past and forgive everyone.
I free myself and everyone in my life from old past hurts.
They are free and I am free to move into new, glorious experiences!"
Louise L. Hay.

2 comments:

  1. Love Louise Hay - "You Can Heal Your Life" is a phenomenal book.

    If anyone wants to try something totally amazing, call this number - 083 443 4297. The number belongs to Anne Devlin, a Kinesiologist at Constantia Wellness Centre in Wynberg. If you need some help with the letting go... R250 per one hour session

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hanging onto 3 of the stuff you mentioned above...BLECH! omw I gotta LET GOOOO!!!

    :D thanx, a great post!

    ReplyDelete