Monday, June 29, 2009

Anti oxidants at the finish line

I really enjoyed this past weekend which started for me at 7am on Saturday morning. I heard just a few days before that there was to be what sounded like a fun trail running event taking place on the Groot Constantia Wine Estate so I decided to take part. Now I have run around that area before a few times with a relaxed Sunday running group made up mostly of over 50's who enjoy the social side of things as much as the run. This time it was a 12km race which was made up of completing two laps in and around the vineyards of Groot Constantia. Upon arrival, just after 8am to register, I was surprised to note just how many Capetonians were getting out on the chilly but bright sunny morning to come and take part. By the 9am start there must have been at least 200 people there which was fantastic. And it was a friendly light hearted atmosphere with quite a few of those entered doing so just to complete the exercise at a comfortable pace - no problem if that meant walking. I am however, one to put myself at the other end of the 'comfortable pace' spectrum when it comes to running, and I burst out of the starting gate as fast as I could. It was a really good race which provided a huge challenge to keep racing even when those hills framing the famous vineyards took their toll which was as early as just 2km into the race. As it was two laps I always knew I had to come around to the very same long steep hills and run them all over again in a few minutes time. As I mentioned, a decent challenge. I must point out that it was a self imposed challenge however and many people were just taking part in a much more chilled fashion which was enjoyable in a different way. I suppose a lot of people think racing as hard as the top guys do is not enjoyable however that is not the case. Its a different sort of enjoyment no doubt, but still really fun. Besides those of us that speed around the course got to finish first and have first dibs on the wine tasting that was set-up right there on the finish line to treat us for our early mornings merits. I was more than happy to drink down some red wine with all its anti oxidants to do some mopping up of those free radicals created by the heavy exertion. What a brilliant way to begin the the Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment