Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Detoxing... Body, Mind and Soul

I committed myself to a month of detoxing.
My focus was originally on the physical side – wanting to slim down, tone up and feel less toxic.
What ended up happening is that I came out of it cleansing my emotional, mental and spiritual well being as well!
What a surprise... a revisit of the wonderful connection with myself!

The first 2 weeks I started transforming physically. I was eating my Sattvic diet; I was increasing my Yoga intensity and enjoying my daily practice. I even added in a few extra walks with my puppy and visits to the gym. I felt great – really energized and ready for life.

Then my next 2 weeks kicked in…….
This more intense detox, aimed at cleaning out my emotional and mental toxins, caught me by surprise.
I had forgotten how life changing a full-on detox can be and was not expecting it at all!
I went through my normal cycles of not feeling good enough, bad self-talk, feeling angry and frustrated (the liver is linked to the anger emotion, so it is pretty normal to feel angry when detoxing) and came out the other side literally feeling cleansed.

What changed? What transformed me back to my confident, self-loving, radiant self?

…It was going back to my basics.

Lately I had been so busy; being busy. So busy occupying my mind with worry. So busy knowing what would make me feel better but never getting to it because other things and other people seemed too important.
Then the Universe opened up and gave me a month to detox. I had time, I had energy, I had the resources, and I actually did it.

So going back to my basics meant that I was not rushing, not adding too much into my day and so I had time to focus and ‘spring clean’ me.

I spent a lot of quiet time on my own.
I took walks to my favourite bench overlooking Cape Town.
I stopped and absorbed the beautiful smells of Jasmine in my garden.
I spent more time connecting to myself and doing my own version of meditating.
And I chose to spend a lot of time asking myself questions. I realized lately I was looking externally for answers. So I started listening to my own Inner Wisdom again and found myself internalizing rather that seeking answers and approval from others.

These exercises are no revelation for me.
I know exactly what makes me feel good and how to do it. I have all the tools.
It is just that life got too much, and for a moment, I forgot that I actually have all the answers!

Every now and then I suppose one just needs a break and some time to get to back on track and to connect to Self again.
I now have regular chats to my Self and feel my way through my day rather than think my way though it.

Thank you to my body for taking me through a beautiful process and thank you Soul for reminding me that you are always there for me!
X


"I Trust my Inner Wisdom.
As I go about my daily affairs, I listen to my own guidance.
My Intuition is always on my side.
I trust it to be there at all times.
I am safe."
Louise L Hay

No comments:

Post a Comment