Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A change would do you good...

About a month ago I found myself feeling a bit dull, anxious and generally unenthusiastic about my life. I decided the only way I was going to feel better was to make a few changes, So I sat down and made a list…

Here are some of the changes I have set out to make in my life (and how I am trying to keep them up):

1. Make better food choices- If I can’t make my own food, I try make healthier choices when I eat out (note: Wellness Warehouse in Kloof street has a fabulous buffet). When I crave chocolates I rather buy a yogurt or some fruit to get a sugar fix. I try to eat smaller portions. I try to stay away from anything deep fried, frequent caffeine drinking and processed food.
2. Do more exercise – I found that I was starting to get into a life routine that didn’t make any time for exercise. Now, I have started trying to do some form of exercise nearly everyday (yup, I said everyday). I have started jogging and walking in the evening when the weather allows - I try to go out for at least 15 to 20 minutes (its great thinking and music listening time). I try to head to the gym at least twice a week (for a change). When I feel too unmotivated to get out and exercise, I do my own home exercises (like: stretching, ball exercises, squats and lunges)
3. Drink more water - I now take a bottle with me to work everyday and try to drink at least 1 litre of water during my work day. Having a bottle on my desk reminds me drink water at work. Click HERE to read tips on how to drink more water everyday.
4. Pop good pills - I have started taking vitamins daily. As much as I try to eat healthy I don’t always get all the nutrition I need from my diet. I also find that taking Salmon Oil (Omega 3)has been making a huge difference to my hair and nails.
5. Clear all the clutter –When my environment is cluttered I find myself less productive and more anxious. Its amazing how good it feels to walk into a organised space. I have resolved to keep my work and home spaces as free from clutter as I can (notes: I have found its best to set out a whole day to just focus on cleaning and sorting out a cluttered space. Start with one room at a time. Dont be afraid to throw away things. Donate things that others can use).
6. Stop sweating the small stuff- It seems so easy to say but so hard to do. The way I have started to help myself stress less about silly, little things is by changing my attitude. Now I am starting to see if it’s something little and not actually a crisis its best to just remain calm and let it go. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.......which leads me to my next change....
7. Think positive things - Its so easy to let the world get you down and make you negative. I dont want to be negative anymore... I dont want to hold onto negative thoughts and feelings. I have resolved to speak more positively, think happy thoughts and let go of things that make me think negatively. Like Budda says: "We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.”

Some people say a change is as good as a holiday and I am finally starting to believe that is true…..

What positive changes do you want to make in your life?

5 comments:

  1. Cool thanx for sharing!! Will most hopefully be taking up your tips for myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do this every now and again... drink more water.. green tea..

    I never quite follow thru long term. Maybe writing it down is the key?!

    Thanks... Intersting read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to lose some weight. I feel like I have been really consumed with how much weight I have gained after Carson.

    I would love to get all of our closets cleaned out. My boys all have closet full of clothes that they have outgrown.

    Just get some money back in my savings account not that I'm finally back to work.

    Great post, it helps me see that other people are battling with the exact same issues that I am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are really great tips.
    I've been trying to get ready for my schedule change that is coming in the fall that will need me up and functional by 7:30am. I have found that going to the gym regularly is helping me to feel more rested in the morning. Also, I've been taking a B vitamin complex, as they help with energy and mood!

    ReplyDelete